Sunday, November 30, 2008

Determining Intentions

I do not know if years of management have made me pessimistic about intentions or if I am rightfully questioning of people’s motivations. I think about this in terms of teaching in relation to one of my textbooks, Fires in the Bathroom: advice for teachers from high school students by Kathleen Cushman. This book is excellent in the sense that it gives you a view into the minds of teens with direct quotations from student surveys. As I read some of the quotes, I think, “Okay. That’s legitimate” and then I read the others and think, “You are saying that because you don’t know better yet” or "You are just trying to get your way." I know that as a future educator, I would never use such language or such a definite phrase with a student. . . but I know I will want to. I worry that I may hinder a student’s learning experience by not listening, but on the other hand, I worry that I will be subject to manipulation and that if some students gain and inch, they will keep pushing for miles. How can I always tell the difference between the student who sincerely wants to learn more and work harder from the student who wants the easy way out?

1 comment:

Kurtsn said...

I think that you should always listen to your students. You should be able to recognize when you are being taken advantage of, but even then, you should talk to the student about the situation, and ask the student to explain herself, or himself. That way you can raise the bullshit flag, but let the student explain, if they can.

YOu have to keep your heart in the right place. It will get abused a little, I suspect, but keeping the door open lets in the ones who really need it too, not just the manipulators.