Monday, December 1, 2008

Belated Thanksgiving




One of my professors was recently sharing something a student had written in her yearbook. The student praised her abilities as a teacher throughout his note and explained why she had made a difference in his school performance. This professor then shared that we as teachers will not always know when we are making a difference. This made me think about my teachers who made a huge impact on me. I never once said "thank you." I never told them that they made a difference to me and in me. I never told them that their classes gave me something to which I would look forward. When I think of these teachers, I remember their qualities. They were fair, consistent, they believed in me, they commanded respect, they were passionate about what they were teaching, they gave me a safe space to speak my mind, and they inspired me to become a teacher. I feel like seeking them out now, after all these years, to tell them what they gave me. In the spirit of Thanksgiving, and the approching holiday season, I want to share that I am thankful for these memorable people, and I encourage you to seek out someone who has made a possitive difference in your life and tell that person what they have done for you. I would very much like to hear about it.


No comments: